Counsellor and Psychotherapist in Truro
Professionally trained, qualified & UKCP registered (since 1993), I practise as a counsellor and psychotherapist.
Based in-person at Truro and online using Zoom or Teams, my practice also includes
clinical supervision for other counsellors and psychotherapists.
The one-to-one ‘therapy’ I offer incorporates both counselling and psychotherapy;
that is, a few solution-focused sessions over a brief period
OR a longer-term approach for a more in-depth and insightful exploration
of yourself and your situation in life.
My consulting room in 26 Lemon Street is just across the road from the Truro Plaza cinema. The well-ventilated room is on the 1st floor and provides a quiet, discreet and comfortable area. It is an ideal setting, except if you are unable to climb stairs in which case alternative arrangements can be made. Counselling and psychotherapy clients come from all walks of life, with much variation in terms of ages, backgrounds, and reasons for making a consultation.
Here is a summary of what you as an individual client can expect:
- Safe, private and confidential sessions for you to be heard, to discuss, and to gain more understanding of feelings and experiences
- A therapeutic relationship that is validating, non-judgemental and of professional integrity, where you can bring all aspects of yourself with all your past experience and current concerns
- Interpersonal support, and help with developing your capacity to self-support (which may include more emotional expression OR more containment of feelings that would otherwise be unbearable or overwhelming), and encouragement to be authentic/true to yourself
- Creative and constructive challenge and, when appropriate, the invitation to explore difficult or painful feelings, thoughts and physical sensations. You may agree to be challenged in order perhaps to find more self-acceptance or to discover new ways of responding to others
- Time to gain more awareness of yourself and your present day circumstances, so that you are empowered to recognise more choices for the future
My experience as a counsellor and psychotherapist
Over the last 30 years, I have provided confidential counselling and psychotherapy for clients who have presented with issues in these overlapping areas:
LOSS AND TRAUMA: Bereavement (see FAQs), separation, relationship breakdown, childhood or recent abuse (sexual/emotional/physical), bullying, self-compassion
WORK/CAREER: Stress and burn-out, communication problems, redundancy and retirement, fulfilling potential
RELATIONSHIPS: Conflict, loneliness, difficulties with intimacy, sexual concerns, problems with jealousy, parenting issues, reconciliation
EXISTENTIAL CRISIS: Loss or lack of meaning and purpose in life, ‘mid-life crisis’, cancer and terminal illness, finding peace
ANXIETY: Panic attacks, low confidence and self-esteem (see FAQs), mood swings, self-destructive behaviour, management of chronic stress
ANGER MANAGEMENT: Rage, inability to connect with anger, appropriate expressions of anger, and setting boundaries
OTHER AREAS: Confusion, sexuality, gender, self-image and identity, life change, and personal evolution and development
You are welcome to contact me
The first step to finding out whether counselling/psychotherapy may be beneficial for you is to make contact for an initial consultation during which we would discuss the possibility and advisability of further sessions. I can give you an idea of what would be involved and what I consider may be achievable. Of course, you will be under no obligation or pressure to continue. Any communication between us will be treated as confidential. For an email link: see below.
The goal of your counselling/psychotherapy will be discussed at the outset, and would be the subject of frequent review between us. The agreed aim will depend upon what you want as a desired outcome.
For information about my Counselling, Psychotherapy and Clinical Supervision qualifications and my work experience generally:see My Counselling Approach page
The fee for a one hour counselling and psychotherapy session is £45 for individuals.
Thanks for looking at my Truro Therapy [Counselling and Psychotherapy] website
For more information about clinical supervision: see www.supervisioncornwall.co.uk